Monday 21 October 2013

The Station To Station Art Project

I travel alot for my job and I think I became some kind of expert in airport orientation and effective packing of my lugagge. I love traveling even though it’s often connected to early wake ups, jetlag and waiting time. Of course most of the time I’m in the air but if you ask me about my favorite way of traveling I’d tell you it’s the train. Whenever I have the chance to take the train I would always decide for it. There is no smoother way to get from A to B. Next to the smooth and relaxed journey itself there is another thing I really love about train rides. There are not many places where I am more productive and creative as on trains. The landscape that’s passing by, the abscence of a WIFI connection as well as the calm atmosphere in the cabin which gets your temporary home, studio or atelier – for a certain time you are just for yourself and can really focus on what you want to or have to do!
So a current public art project called Station To Station caught my interest from the first day I heard about it. Made possible by the lovely guys of LEVIS a train designed by artist Doug Aitken travels from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Coast right now. Through this time it becomes a platform of artistic experimentation for artists like Ariel Pink and the haunted graffitis, Urs Fischer, Olaf Breuning, Kenneth Anger, Carsten Höller and many many others. On nine different locations throughout the whole country these artists and many more encounter a creative collision of contemporary art, experimental music and film.
iGNANT has been invited by LEVIS to join the Station To Station Kick-Off in NewYork and meet the artists during their first stop in Pittsburgh where they presented some of their works in yurt tents next to the train. When I spoke to the artists they where all hyped up and excited about what happens on the train. They knew that they had this amazing platform to work on and great artists from different genres to collaborate with. And this is also what I like most about the Station To Station. Everybody knew about this great opportunity and amazing setup, but the project itself is Work In Progress. Everything can happen and maybe two characters bump into each other and collaborate on a whole new piece of art.
Since there are just limited places on the train, Station To Station acts as a cultural studio too and globally broadcasts its unique content from the stops as well as on the moving train. So jump over to the Station To Station website and follow the trip and it’s stops live until it ends in Oakland / San Francisco on September 28th. We had a great time and are excited about every next stop the train takes on its way to the West. Thanks to LEVIS and Christian for having us.

No comments:

Post a Comment